An der Kuhbrücke
History
The small path directly between the Kuhtor (Cow Gate) and the Kuhbrücke (Cow Bridge).
The Kuhtor was built in the fourteenth century in the Gothic style. Originally, it had only a fairly narrow passage. Later, a walkway for pedestrians was added. The Kuhtor connects Hundegasse (Polish: ul. Ogarna) with the Kuhbrücke (Polish: Most Krowi).
It owes its name to the fact that cows were driven through the gate to the slaughterhouse on Speicherinsel. When the wooden Cow Bridge was replaced by an iron drawbridge in 1901/02, the Kuhtor was thoroughly rebuilt—it received a wide passage and two wide walkways. Its appearance was changed to match the taste of the time, and the gate was renamed Neues Kuhtor (New Cow Gate).
The gate was largely destroyed in 1945. During reconstruction, the original Gothic appearance was restored, and the surviving Gothic walls were integrated into the new masonry. Today, the gate houses the Polish Tourist and Sightseeing Society.
District
Polish Names
n. e.